Outback Steakhouse's Walkabout Onion Soup Recipe
Make sure to use sweet onions in this recipe to get the best and most authentic taste.
- 2 cups Yellow Sweet Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 (15 ounce) cans Chicken Broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh Black Pepper, ground
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1/4 cup Velveeta Cheese, cubes or shredded (compressed in measuring cup)
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups Thick White Sauce (see below)
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- In 2 quart sauce pan place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions.
- Cook at low to medium heat stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown.
- Add chicken broth from can, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and stir until completely heated through.
- Add white sauce and Velveeta cheese. White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat
- ntil the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
- Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese, and a couple of slices of warm dark Russian Bread.
- In a 1 quart sauce pan melt butter and add flour, cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the sides of the sauce pan.
- Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly, add salt. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding.
- Remember to stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.
If You Like this Recipe -- Get More Secret Recipes from Outback Steakhouse...
...and All of Your Favorite Restaurants like:
Photo of Outback Steakhouse's Walkabout Onion Soup is by She Who Shall Not Be Named and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) License.